Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, March 29, 2021

Muffins with Mom – The Motivation, Inspiration and Perspiration of Parenting

 


The call came at the end of my workday, my sons picture flashed on the screen of my cell phone. I answered quickly as I was packing up to head home. His voice had a joyful tone as he said, “Guess what Ma? I’ve got good news.”

“Save me from guessing, and just tell me your news.”

“I’m graduating May…”

I dropped the phone and started jumping and shouting. My moves were a combination of praise dancing, jumping rope, and playing hopscotch. I bounced from my back office, past a conference room, a copy machine, and another office; To say I was excited would be an understatement.

Perspiration was forming on my forehead, inspiration was in my heart, and I knew that motivation was driving my son to see light at the end of the tunnel. After several years in college and spending time at three different colleges, he now had a graduation date. I didn’t learn of the date right away because I dropped the phone in excitement.

When a child achieves a milestone accomplishment it is a proud parenting moment. Although every achievement is worth celebrating, the big ones bring an abundance of joy for parent and child. A flood of memories poured out. There was the time my son played Wide Receiver on a little league football team and scored his first touchdown.

In high school, as my son ran down the football field, or scored points from the free throw line in basketball, I cheered. I enjoyed yelling from the stands as much as he enjoyed the adrenaline of running with a ball. His perspiration came from tense moments in the game, and so did mine.

Each time my son experienced a setback, I attempted to say a word to motivate him to keep pushing forward. We journeyed through little league, AAU sports, a high school basketball championship, and finally college. On days when I felt like I didn’t have the energy to motivate or encourage, I handed off the baton.

Running in the game of life sometimes felt like being on track relay team. Four runners are positioned around the track, one begins running then hands the baton to the next person to take over. Sometimes a runner would fall behind, causing the last runner to push harder to the finish line. Those moments when I felt exhausted and depleted, I handed off the baton.

Motivation, inspiration, and perspiration are a part of my parenting journey in some way. You may have other words to describe the journey. No matter what descriptive words you use, know that you have made an impact in your child’s life. It’s alright to feel tired and unmotivated at times, rest, take a breather, and get back in the game. You matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment