Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, March 26, 2021

Fun Friday – Guided Meditation an Epic Fail

 


How do you begin your morning? I’ve mentioned here before that I’ve started practicing morning meditation…and I’m still practicing. After several months you would think I have it down to an art. Perhaps I should not have deviated from what became a routine – listening to the same guided meditation.

I was in the mood to try something different. After a quick Google search, I found a new meditation to try. My room was quiet and still, the only light on was a small bedside lamp. I got myself situated and pressed a button on my laptop to begin the session.

The slow soothing voice said, “take a comfortable seated position on the floor, legs crossed.”

The picture on my computer screen displayed a woman sitting crossed legged, with one foot resting on each thigh. She’s telling me to, “relax…and breathe.”

Meanwhile, I’m struggling to put my second foot on top of my thigh…as the woman looks peaceful. I yelled back at her, “do you know how large my thighs are? My legs won’t twist like that.”

Her response was, “deep breathe in…and exhale.”

I took a deep breath in, but blowing it out was more segmented, the way I learned in Lamaze class decades ago – he-he-hoo; he-he-hoo. This didn’t feel like relaxing to me. Then I realized I had my glasses on with my eyes closed. I took the glasses off, took my legs out of pretzel pose and found a variation of the pose the woman demonstrated in the still photo.

After getting myself worked-up for the first five minutes, I let my body relax and focus the stillness of the room and the soothing words. I needed to exercise patience and understand that over time, it will become easier.

Although my meditation session felt like an epic fail, I know that anything worth doing well requires patience and tenacity. If you’re starting something new, have patience, stick with it; the results will be worth it.

What is something new that you have done lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment