Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, March 19, 2021

Fun Friday – How do you follow your passion?

 


What is your passion and where does it take you? People around me know that I don’t leave home without a notebook and an ink pen. If you’re a passenger in my car, you may be asked to jot down a thought for me…can’t let those nuggets of inspiration disappear. Writing is my passion, it follows me.

Over a decade ago, I attended a birthday party for a friend’s aunt, at the aunt’s home. As my sons and I pulled into the circular drive, I thought wow, this is nice. As I stepped into the foyer and walked through to the living room, I was captivated. There was a large open living room, with a Florida room attached.

I looked up, and in the corner of the room was a narrow winding staircase that led to a small loft area. Like a kid in a candy store, I said, “Oooh, can I go up there?” Once I was at the top of the staircase, I was drawn to a corner of the room that held a four-shelf bookcase and a desk with a tall floor lamp beside it.

I yelled down to the party host, “You don’t have to entertain me, I’ll stay up here and write.”

Afraid that I wouldn’t be invited back, I rejoined the celebration instead of giving in to the urge to be anti-social by spending time with my muse.

As we got in our car to leave, my son whispered to me, “Ma, are they rich?”

“I don’t know, but I really liked their library area.”

My passion for writing and writing spaces, seems to follow me wherever I go. A few years ago, when I first visited the college campus that my son attends, I walked around in awe. One particular building caught my attention. It was a huge, historic brick building, surrounded by willow trees, and a couple of park benches along the walkway.

Walking with my son, I said, “ooooh…”

Before I could complete my sentence he said, “Don’t tell me…this would make a good writing spot.”

“Yes.”

“Ma, please don’t randomly show up on campus. This is why I wanted to go to school out of state.”

I did not randomly show up at my son school, but I do follow my passion by taking advantage of stolen moments to spend time writing.

I encourage you too, to take advantage of stolen moments to pursue your passion. Your passion may include exploring areas that spark your interest. The timing doesn’t have to be perfect, you don’t have to make huge sacrifices, but do something for you.

How will you follow your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment