Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, January 25, 2021

Muffins with Mom – A Parenting Role Reversal

 

A mother son moment

Have you ever held a conversation with your child, only for them to tell you later that they forgot what you said? Well, it still happens when they’re young adults.

I told my gatekeepers (my sons) that I would not be home right after work because I had a hair appointment. Somehow they must have forgotten that. Two hours past the end of my workday, I sat blissfully underneath the hair dryer reading a book. My cell phone buzzed.

The text message read, “Ma, where are u?”

I quickly responded so I could get back to reading my book. Five seconds after I hit send, my phone rang. It was my other son calling. I tilted my head outside of the hair dryer (I didn’t want to stop the dryer) and pressed the phone against my ear.

“Ma, where are you?”

“I’m at the hair salon. Are you and your brother in the same house?”

“Oh, I was about to put out an Amber Alert.”

“I may be a little too old for an Amber Alert, but thanks for wanting to send out an emergency response team. Please text your brother. Better yet, go into the other room and tell your brother I’m fine.”

My son told me that he’d forgotten that I had a hair appointment. He realized that I should have been home by a certain time. In that moment, a role reversal occurred. Both my sons experienced what a parent goes through when their child is not where he should be.

What is an example of a time you experienced a role reversal with your child?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment