Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, January 29, 2021

Fun Friday – When menopause rears its’ head anything can happen

 

Photo Credit: ADDitude Magazine

Menopause is like Michigan weather, it’s hot, cold, rainy, snowy, all in a matter of minutes. It’s hormone changes. What works best for me at home is to keep the house cool. My living room and dining room blend together and there is a lot of open space. My son likes to fill this space with friends playing video games.

In the midst of the pandemic, visits from friends are limited, and hand sanitation required at the front door, but I digress. Anyway, I arrived home late from work one evening and my son had a buddy over playing video games. I noticed right away the each of them sat in a different area of the room, wrapped in a fleece blanket.

A laugh bubbled in my throat, but I was able to contain it. “Are you guys cold? You could have turned the heat up a little.”

“I know how you complain about the heat, Ms. Menopause, so I didn’t touch it,” said my son.

“I know you’re used to it, but you could have turned it up for Karl.” I turned the thermostat up a few notches.

I’ve come to the realization that there are two zones in my home – Menopause and Millennials. I set the heat to 69 degrees, and the millennials walk around in winter coats, or in this instance, blankets.

As soon as I hung up my coat and sat down in my bedroom, I regretted that decision. My body began to heat up from the inside, out and  broke out in a sweat. I took deep breaths and relaxed, the feeling would pass soon. In the meantime, I texted Karl’s mom and explained what was going on. I also told her, “I guess I’m freezing your son over here.”

Her response was, “he should be used to it. I keep my heat low too.”

I fled my bedroom, quickly navigated the stairs, and dropped the thermostat three degrees. I glanced in the direction of my son and Karl and said, “Sorry guys, I’m melting. I can bring you another blanket. Oh...Karl, your mama said you’ll be okay.”

If you or someone you know is fighting menopause, tell them to keep fighting; laugh in its face, but get help if needed.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment