Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, December 21, 2020

Motivational Monday – How to Host a Virtual Holiday Party in 4 Simple Steps

 


What?! It’s four days ‘till Christmas, already? No need to worry, settle down and discover how you can make your Christmas magical in for simple steps. If you’ve been following my blog posts the past week, you know this is day 4 in our 12 Days of Christmas Inspiration.

The year 2020 is coming to an end and with the national pandemic we’re going through many people are glad to wave bye bye. Here’s an idea – throw a going away party for 2020. It can be a part of your virtual Holiday party. Throw a fun gathering in spite of the challenges of 2020.

Family Christmas is usually at my house, the week before Christmas. This has always worked for us, leaving Christmas day for everyone spend the day with their individual families or visiting other relatives. If you’re taking your gathering virtual, here’s what my family did – 4 simple steps.

1.      Build Anticipation – email or text an invite to your guests. Treat the invite as a teaser of what to expect at your event – “Contests and prizes will be a part of this event.”

2.      Prepare Activities – hold a Christmas Tree Decorating Contest, Ugly Sweater Contest, Play Bingo, or some other game. A quick text to family members was how I told them about the contests. “Decorate your tree by December 15th and text a picture to me.”

Make this as elaborate or as simple as you want. I selected three family members as judges, and created a tally sheet for them. Each of them received a printed picture of the Christmas Trees. I wrote on each sheet – Tree 1, Tree 2, etc. The judges didn’t talk to each other. I had them text their tally sheet to me just before the party started. I didn’t want them to know who submitted which tree, although a couple of them were obvious.

3.      Set the atmosphere – I stationed myself in an upstairs room at my mom’s house. We had two other family members there, so I needed a space where we would have feedback/echoes. The room I was in had a plain white wall, which was not festive. Utilizing my resources, I grabbed a roll of wrapping paper and tape , and set my scene in motion.

Meanwhile, at my house, DJ Don was on the turntable (Bluetooth speaker connected to his iPhone). Music drifted the speaker from several genres. When I heard the Blues playing, I began to bob my head. In the colloquial language of my family ancestors I said, “what you know about that music?”

4.      Have fun – if it’s fun for you, it will be fun for everyone else.

What?! Four days ‘till Christmas? Relax, have fun and make it the best Christmas ever.


First Place Winner - Family Christmas Tree Decorating Contest



Second Place Winner
This one is from the mom of the first place winner (we seem to have a competitive family)

No comments:

Post a Comment