Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, December 18, 2020

Fun Friday – The Sock War and other tips for a fun Holiday Season

 


The countdown of Christmas Inspirational tidbits continues as we begin day 7. What do you have planned to make your Holiday season fun?

I was caught in the middle of an active battle ground. Sitting in bed, propped up by pillows, with my trusty laptop in hand, is where it all began. One son was helping me with a technical issue, until the other son popped into the room, and hurled a bawled-up sock in our direction.

“Hey, cut it out. I’m trying to finish something,” I screamed.

“That’s okay, I’ll get him Ma.”

“I’m calling, daddy.” And that’s what I did.

My youngest son said, “I can’t believe you’re calling daddy like we’re little kids.”

“Well, if the shoe fits…”

The brief sock war ended  my sons started a different battle, on their video game. This was the beginning of their Holiday home from school. They were having fun, I was not, at least not at that moment. Here are 7 tips for a fun Holiday season,

1.      Have a sock war – round up the family, crumple-up a few stray socks and let them fly. This is more fun if you plan for it, unlike my episode above.

2.      Breathe – don’t let yourself become uptight.

3.      Let your hair down -  or pull it up – repeat #2.

4.      Don’t count calories, count your blessings – eat in moderation over the Holidays, but don’t stress about weight concerns. Focus on family.

5.      Listen to Christmas music – sing along with the music.

6.      Make something – sometimes I’m crafty, sometimes I’m not. Years ago I stumbled upon a simple craft that was easy and fun – a no sew, knotted fleece blanket. This is something that you can work on while watching your favorite TV show. I so (sew) excited that I made several of them one Christmas. Although, I did make a mistake with he first one. It was supposed to be throw blanket, but my version fit across an entire queen-sizes bed.

Knotted Fleece Blanket (not the queen size version) - has stood the test of time
My son's blanket from 15 years ago (wow that's a long time). I found it in the back of a closet, where old things hide.

7.      Watch a Christmas movie – When was the last time you watched Miracle on 34th Street? We can all use a miracle this year.

What tips would you add for a fun Holiday season?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment