Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, December 4, 2020

Fun Friday – Humor Corner – Virtual Gatherings

 

Photo Credit: iStock

Zoom, GoToMeeting, Google Meet, everything around us is virtual. It was no surprise when an annual conference I attend for work, decided to go virtual. After receiving the notification, I immediately contacted my Human Resource manager and indicated that I still wanted to participate. She said, “send me the details.”

The next email I sent the HR manager said, “will I still receive a meal allowance?”

She ignored me...for a while. I guess asking for mileage was out of the question.

I appreciate the opportunities I’ve had to continue to explore and navigate the waters of virtual, but I’m still learning, and so is my family. We’ve scheduled out Christmas gathering to meet by Zoom. Since the party is usually at my house, I’ve taken the lead on instructing everyone on how to use Zoom. We’re in trouble.

It was at mom’s house on Thanksgiving that we decided do a trial run on Zoom. My brother and I were the only ones scheduled to be in-person; It was our attempt to be safe in this time of COVID-19. After being there a little while, the doorbell rang. We all looked at each other. I said, “whomever it is, don’t let them in, we’re at capacity.”

It was my uncle at the door, and he was wearing a mask, so he joined our small gathering. As he settled in I announced, “hey, let’s practice using Zoom.” I sent the link. We sat spaced around the living room, and this is what I heard.”

“I don’t see the link. Did you send it to me?”

“I got an error message.”

“I saw the link, then it disappeared.”

Then there was me, “all I know how to do is send it to you. I can’t troubleshoot. Maybe we should have invited the kids.”

We eventually got everyone connected. There were squeals of, “I can see Angie. There’s Norm on the couch.”

Then came echoes and loud background noises. “Um, I think some of you need to leave the room. We can’t all be in the same location, it causes feedback.”

My family is almost ready for the Christmas gathering.

How are you coping in the virtual world? Have you had any funny experiences?

2 comments:

  1. Love that you asked for a meal allowance. Seems so reasonable to me and the least that could be offered and should have been considered from the start as a perk (which I'm sure you don't get much of these days).

    On the personal front, my
    best friends are spread out around the country and overseas, and it seems that among a group of professional women (most now retired), I am the only one who is capable of setting up a Zoom meeting???? I got cranky about this at one point (being the organizer each time), but then surrendered to the role to stay connected to people I love. I did try passing the reigns at one point, but had to step in to save the day anyway, LOL.

    I have to say though that I am honestly concerned about these lovely people in my life adapting to an increasingly technologically-centered culture and being relevant and connected with younger people, including their children. How can we relate if we don't keep up with the way the next generation is communicating? Something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Yes it is good to stay connected, glad you could save the day.LOL. We'll all get through this together. Thanks for stopping by the blog. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete