Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, April 24, 2020

Fun Friday – Defining Moments: The Secret to Finding Joy While in Quarantine

Joy - When your kids say, "You've never bought this many groceries before."

Moses went to Mt. Sinai and returned to the people with two tablets. I entered my bathroom and returned with two tablets…aspirin. Moses’s people were in chaos, my people are in chaos (my household). Under quarantine - the culprit…the COVID-19 pandemic. My joy tries to hide.

Joy – a feeling of great pleasure and happiness. How can one possibly have joy when it feels like you’re running against the wind? Create your joy, use humor as a stress release. I know I’ve said this before but, you can uncover humor in daily situations. Below are a few situations that caused my lips to curve into a smile.

Do you know your kids?
Both my sons are home from college and struggling to establish a routine. They wander from room to room with their laptops, their sleeping patterns have changed, all understandable during this time of crisis.
My younger son’s phone is not working, his laptop refuses to hold a charge, and even his game system is on the fritz. Frustration surrounds him. He settled into bed late one night and asked me to wake him early the next morning for a fresh start.

I entered my sons’ dark bedroom and called out, “Jay, it’s time to get up.”

The body rolled over and said, “Wrong son.”

My sons had switched sleeping quarters on me.

Automated Phone Services
All I wanted to do was to pay my bill online. I punched in the number I was trying to call and was immediately greeted by a friendly automated voice. She led with a list of advertisements, but I followed along.

“If you’re interested in an insurance quote press 1, if not press pound.” I pressed pound and she kept talking…

“If you want to save on your groceries press 1, if not press pound.” I pressed pound again. She continued…

“If you’re over 50 press 1, if not press pound.” This time I pressed 1 hoping to expedite the call. It did…not…happen. This time she said…

“If you’re hard of hearing 1, if not press pound.”

Hmmm. I sat there in a catatonic state with my thoughts. If I’m hard of hearing, can I hear you?
All I wanted to do was pay my bill.

I punched end call on my phone. I looked at the paper where I had written the company’s phone number and looked at the number I’d dialed. I had transposed a couple of numbers. The friendly automated voice was not the company where I needed to pay my bill.

Defining moments are the way you choose to handle what’s thrown your way. Choose to uncover the humor.

Go through today in search of things that cause your lips to curve into a smile. This is your secret weapon to finding joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment