Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, December 2, 2019

Muffins with Mom – Home for the Holidays



The screen door squeaked, locks click clicked, and heavy footsteps trampled across the hardwood floor. From the other room, I heard the endearing words, “MAMA…I’m home.” My sons arrived home one day apart. Each one entering the house with cherubic smiles and a load of dirty laundry. College kids, home for the holidays.

I had already decided that the holiday season would be a time for family and plenty of relaxing. My adult children had other ideas. One sons’ shenanigans began as we prepared for a visit to my mom’s house. I stood in front of my bathroom mirror with my make-up bag spread open across the counter.

As I applied concealer, contour creams, eyebrow pencil, etc., my son popped into my doorway.
“What is that on your face?”

“Make-up.”

“Oh, I thought you were doing Painting with a Twist.”

And he wonders why he often appears in my blog posts. This was one of many moments we treasure as a family. Are you creating family memories? If not, it’s not too late to begin. It doesn’t cost a dime and the moments are usually priceless.

My sons both attend college out of state. Our Thanksgiving gathering revolved around family updates. Each one of them said, “Ma I’m going to need some groceries.”
 I said, “Me too. We can’t all need food at the same time.”

My younger son looked at his brother and said, “One of us is going to have to come home.” They both chuckled. Their banter continued throughout the night. The “Grown-ups” (my brother and me) claimed a comfortable spot on the couch, watched a movie, napped, and woke up in time to see the end of the movie.

Siblings, breaking bread together

It was the best night ever…having everyone home for the holidays.

It’s your turn, go out and create memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment