Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, December 6, 2019

Feel Good Friday – Reflections – A picture is worth a thousand words

Ypsilanti Junior Braves Football Banquet (years ago)


The text message from my son came with a photo from ten years ago. Pictured were my two sons and a friend they met in school that year. A flood of memories instantly came to mind for me.

The Three Amigos, as I dubbed them, played together at the afterschool program. One day as I picked up my sons from school, one of them said, “K plays for the Braves too.” His reference was to the little league football team that they played for.

The next day as I picked the boys up, we were walking through the parking lot when one of them said, “There’s K’s mother.” I flagged her down as she was driving off. I smiled, waved my arms and introduced myself. I found out her name was Angela, something we immediately had in common.

I told Angie we needed to carpool, “There’s no need for both of us to go to the football field every day for practice.” I didn’t give her much room to say no. For the next three years, we carpooled to football practices and to school. The picture below was taken at the end of season football banquet. That was one of the good days.

Some carpool days came with challenges. When we had extra passengers, there was bickering over who had to sit in the middle in the backseat. The boys would run to the car, jump in from either said and not move over. I would grit my teeth and tell my son to move over. It seemed as though an eternity passed before anyone moved.

On other days the boys would laugh together, pass gas (with me trapped in the car) and yell who did that. I can only wonder if things like this happened when it was K’s mom’s turn to drive the carpool.
The boys are now young men, all in college and still have the occasional get together. One day I came home from work and their intimate group of three had grown. There were seven young men around my dining room table engrossed in a game of monopoly. I wish I had captured that photo. It was priceless.

Before this year ends, take the time to reflect on some of your fondest memories. Take out a photo album (I know you still have one or two), browse through it, see what memories come to mind. Never stop creating new memories.

Take lots of pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment