Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Muffins with Mom – National Pet Day

Beginning the journey of pet ownership


Are you a pet owner? If not, you can borrow my pet for a day. It’s National Pet Day, celebrated each year on April 11th. Did you know there are approximately 86.4 million cats and 78.2 million pet dogs? Well, maybe 78.3 since I unknowingly became a pet owner.

The idea behind National Pet Day is to celebrate the pet in your life. One article about this Holiday said to celebrate your dog by taking him on a long walk. My boys should read that article, they could use a few tips on how to celebrate a pet.

Our pet dog, Diamond, actually belongs to my oldest son. He asked for a dog for Christmas, and so began our journey of pet ownership. Unlike a newborn baby, we did not have time to wrap our minds around having a new addition to the family. Anytime something needs to be done for Diamond, my younger son reminds us that, “it’s not my dog.”

One day, someone let Diamond roam freely around the house, without supervision. Just like an unsupervised toddler, she got into things she should not have. My younger son, in all his wisdom decided to capture the moment with his phone rather than immediately resolve the problem. See the photo below.

A dog in search of...anything

For National Pet Day I would like to see my son take his dog for a walk, a run, just spend a little more time training her. Diamond is still learning her boundaries.

How will you celebrate National Pet Day? Here are 3 ways to get you started.

·         Watch a pet related movie – one of the favorites in our home was Airbud and 101 Dalmatians.
·         Have a photo shoot with your pet
·         Give your pet a special treat
What are your suggestions for celebrating National Pet Day?


No comments:

Post a Comment