Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Fun Friday – 3 signs that you may be a sports mom


Track


My sixteen-year-old son came home from school the other day and dropped his bags in the middle of the floor. The next sound I heard was him yelling up the stairs to me, “Ma, can you run some bath water for me? I’m tired from the track meet.”

I yelled back to him, “I’m tired too, can you bring me a snack from the kitchen?”

And that was the beginning of outdoor sports season at my house. This year is different than the typical sports season at our house…sports are beginning to overlap. As my son realizes his high school years are almost over, he is putting more emphasis on preparing for college and the sport that he wasn’t to play.

In an effort to keep his body in tip top shape, my son decided to add additional sports to his lineup of activities. Therefore, the new season that we are experiencing consists of track, Rugby, weekend camps and college visits. What has been your experience with your kids and sports…think you might be a sports mom?

Here are 3 signs that you are a sports mom

·         You show up at your child’s sporting event and you don’t have a clue about what is going on – My son is playing Rugby for the first time this year. He joined because a friend invited him to a practice and he wanted to stay in shape for football. I went to the game to support my son’s new venture. Seated in an arm chair along the sidelines, I watched as dads shouted commands, coaches bellowed good job and little kids ran around cheering. I winced as one player grabbed the opposing player around the neck and threw him to the ground. The player on the ground tossed the ball to someone else on his team as he hit the turf with a thud. 

I didn’t know whether I was watching a wrestling match, a soccer game, or football. Maybe it was a combination of all of these sports, but I was there to support my son. There is no guarantee I will learn the ins and outs of this sport. My son has played football for eight years and he says I barely understand the game.


 Rugby

·         You plan your family outings around your child’s practice schedule – When my older son was home for spring break, we decided to go the movie theater. Our plan was to catch an early evening show and get back home in time for me to relax before bedtime. My sixteen-year-old wanted to join us, but he had other obligations. He asked us to go to a later show in hopes that he would make it. He first had to go to “workouts” for football, then to track practice and wanted us to wait and see if he could join us.

·         You enjoy your child’s sporting event just as much as he does – Go team!



What would you add to the list of “signs of a sports mom?”

No comments:

Post a Comment