Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Fun Friday - What you didn’t know about the Declaration of Independence



Photo Credit:  peterbroderick.com
 
Did you know that parts of the Declaration of Independence could help you answer a job application question? Neither did I until a recent conversation with my mom. We were discussing a question from a job application that asked, “What are your core values/principles?”
 
As I was pondering this question and brainstorming an answer, my mom gave her input.
“You could say that you believe all men are created equal with certain unalienable rights for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,” Mom said.

I looked at her across the table and tried to stifle a laugh, but couldn’t.

She continued talking anyway with a smile on her face, “We believe these truths to be self-evident…”
Mom was having a flashback of information she had to memorize in high school.

As I thought about it later, there really was something from the Declaration of Independence that could apply to core values – freedom and equality. Freedom of choice. And…the opportunity to be treated equitably in your pursuits.
It just goes to show that sometimes answers can be found in unlikely places.

How would you answer the question what are your core values? It’s not something that you’re asked all the time, so it makes you stop and think…hmmm.

Shhh...don’t tell my mom I’m not using her answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment