Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Do you understand what I’m saying? - Tips for clear communication

I gave the directive to my son to "clean your room" and this is what I got. Still more work to be done, but I was not specific enough for him.

Do you consider yourself a clear or effective communicator? I thought I was until recent episodes with my family.
I was relaxed listening to the TV and reading a book. I yelled beckoned for my son to bring me a snack. I asked for a few pieces of cubed cheese to take the edge off my hunger. I was not specific with my request to my son. So he brought me four pieces of cheese, shaking them in his hand like dice. It was a good time to pray over my food.

Another error in my communication was evident when I created a grocery list. A few of the items on the list were paper plates, Chex cereal, and pancake mix. I didn’t know my husband was going to do the shopping before I could explain what I wanted.
My husband returned from the store with all of the items, just different choices than I wanted. He bought super thin paper plates, the kind where your food slides and the plate curls if you hold it the wrong way. When my sons’ chicken leg rolled off the plate he said, “Can you not let daddy do the shopping next time?”

There was Chex cereal, but it was Rice Chex instead of Corn Chex. I didn’t complain, I just crunched my way through the Rice Chex and made sure I was specific the next time. The pancake mix required adding eggs and oil. I wanted the complete mix where I just needed to add water.
I didn’t want to go grocery shopping at 10pm when my husband went, so I made the necessary adjustments. I doubled the paper plates when using them and I used the pancake mix until it was gone. My husband was a good sport when we told him about the grocery list mix up.
When I searched Google for effective communication tips here’s what I found:

1.      When writing something, re-read your message before giving it to someone.

2.      “The goal of effective communication should be mutual understanding…”

3.      One what’s yours – realize that personal responsibility is strength, not a weakness; effective communication involves admitting when you’re wrong.

For more tips check out the following website – http://stress.about.com/od/relationships/ht/healthycomm.htm

Have you ever had a miscommunication episode?

 

2 comments:

  1. "So he brought me four pieces of cheese, shaking them in his hand like dice. It was a good time to pray over my food."

    LOL. My laugh for the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Linda...kids never fail to amaze. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete