Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year’s Resolutions with the entire family in mind

Welcome to 2013! - What will you resolve to do differently this year?

We’re almost a week into the New Year, but it’s not too late to create New Year’s Resolutions. Have you thought about including the kids in setting resolutions? There’s no time like the present to get them started in a little goal setting.
I surveyed two teen boys (my own) about what they would include as part of their New Year’s Resolutions. My 13 year old said this, “I don’t know you come up with some for me.”
When I asked my 16 year old about his goals, he removed the headset to his game and said, “I can’t tell you.”
“Why not?”
“Then they won’t come true.”
As I smiled and left his room, I reminded him that goals are not like a secret wish made when blowing out your birthday candles.
Rule number one for talking with teens: don’t ask them anything important while they’re playing video games.
An article I read said that creating resolutions with kids teaches self-discipline and the value of goal setting. So how do you get started? Not the way that I did it.
The best way to get started is by sitting down with your child, when they’re not distracted by outside forces. Reflect on the past year; discuss what worked and what didn’t. Dr. Benjamin Siegel, professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at Boston University School of Medicine says to have kids “state things they would like to continue to do.” They should also “state things they would like to change that would make them feel better about themselves” (Making New Year’s Resolutions with Your Child).
An article by Pediatrics Now provides sample resolutions for kids by age. Below are a few of those samples.
Preschool
·         I will clean up my toys
·         I will brush my teeth twice a day and wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before eating

5-12 years old
·         I will try to find a sport or activity that I like and do it at least three times a week (playing tag, jump rope, dancing, etc.)
·         I’ll be nice to other kids; I’ll be friendly to kids who need friends
13 years & up
·         I will eat at least one fruit and one vegetable every day, and I will limit the amount of soda I drink
·         I will choose non-violent TV shows and video games and I will spend only one to two hours each day on these activities
For the complete list of age appropriate resolutions view the article here - New Year’s Resolutions for the Entire Family.
What are your suggestions for helping kids set New Year’s Resolutions or family resolutions?


No comments:

Post a Comment