Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Parenting on the gridiron

Joshua in a 3 point stance as a right guard. Ypsi Jr. Braves (purple) scrimmage August 2012.


After the birth my first child, I felt like I was learning a new language. Parents that I talked to were using terms like onesie, layette, bassinette, teething ring and booties. Once my kids started playing sports, I discovered more new words and phrases based on which ever sport they were playing.
It’s football season and my youngest son Joshua is once again signed up for the Ypsilanti Junior Braves team. I have the opportunity to test my understanding of the football language. My boys are always tossing around terms like, off sides, tackled in the backfield, three point stance, special teams, and quarterback keeper.

Being a sports mom, more specifically a football mom, has led me to coin the phrase, parenting on the gridiron. For me this means going to daily practices, scrimmages, and Saturday afternoon football games for three months.

Joshua #88


On the football field the kids learn to work as a team. On the home front teamwork is also required. I continually remind the kids that doing chores is one their ways of contributing to the family. They can also provide input on family outings, selecting items that they like for the grocery list and give suggestions for dinner.

Some occasions require me to call in the special teams, my mother and friends. As the punt return team, they take the ball and run, getting the kids to appointments and practices. When the ball is snapped, they are ready.

At the end of the week, the kids and I get in our pseudo huddle and decide what family activity we want to do. Sometimes it’s playing a few games of Uno or watching a movie. I’ve even been known to give in to the occasional pillow fight.
As in any family, the kids are not always happy with each other. When the sibling rivalry begins I have to run pass interference. Sometimes I feel like I’m the defensive coach calling out plays.

Whether it’s cheering from the bleachers or teaching life lessons through football, parenting on the gridiron is a learning experience for all involved. It’s something the kids can relate to as I learn more about the sport.
What sport would you compare your parenting experience to?


2 comments:

  1. I am going to say, I thought I knew football until I had my son and married my husband, but I am still learning and since the sports started 5 years ago, I know how to measure a cup, buy good shoes that will last the season, when to cheer and more. I love this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorraine. I too am still learning the sport as yet another season of washing girdles has begun...my girdle and the boys.

    ReplyDelete