Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 31, 2026

Monday Musings – Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone – Literally

 


I had rehearsed my presentation, checked my outfit, and prepared myself to stand in front of a room full of people. I was ready. Then the host of the event told me, “People usually take off their shoes in this space.”  Suddenly, I wasn’t just stepping outside my comfort zone—I was stepping outside my shoes.


I was invited to present about my creative journey through comedy. Little did I know that I would add fodder to my stories just by showing up. Standing inside the room, I looked down at my bare toes glaring back at me through my black sandals with the Velcro buckled strap. My little piggies were slightly prepared for viewing.

My pedicure from a month ago was barely hanging on. The lavender polish I selected was clinging for life at the edges of my toenails. Over the years I’ve learned to become comfortable speaking in public. However, I’ve never had to speak in public…barefoot. The theme of the presentation was ‘resilience.”

Before I even began my talk, I practiced resilience. I could have become apprehensive about taking off my shoes with no means to cover my toes. Instead, I shined a light on the situation. After I was introduced I told the group, “When I learned it is customary to remove your shoes in this room, I was worried you would see my hammer toe. Then I wondered – with my hot flashes, what else could I remove.”

The room erupted with laughter, I transitioned into an ice breaker, and everyone was relaxed including me. Sometimes you have to venture outside of your comfort zone. You just might discover something you like.


When was the last time you stepped outside of your comfort zone? What did you discover about yourself?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment