Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, August 28, 2026

Fun Friday – Blessed Are the Candy Givers

 


There I was, sitting peacefully at church, when an innocent offer of candy sent my taste buds on a journey they did not consent to take. It was my fault. I asked my friend for a piece of candy. My throat felt like the Sahara Desert - dusty and dry.

It was one of those days where I probably should have spent a little more time building a relationship with rest. My energy was like the gas tank of my car, leaning toward low. My breakfast consisted of a homemade smoothie and a handful of lightly salted peanuts (my snack of choice).

I often travel with snacks – gum, nuts, fruit snacks, but that day I was running late for church service. After arriving at church, I hydrated with a cup of juice from the snack table in our fellowship hall. I didn’t want to drink too much for fear of having to create my own intermission during service and dip out to the restroom.

The juice soothed my tonsils and other parts of my throat’s anatomy…until mid-way through service. The dryness found its way home; my throat felt like it had been lined with dryer sheets. Now we’re at the heart of this story…

My friend who is also a snack carrier was wearing a large brimmed fancy hat.  I had to tilt my head and duck under her hat to whisper my request for a piece of candy. She rummaged through her purse and handed me a small nylon bag with a drawstring. Inside was an assortment of hard peppermint candy, soft peppermints and cough drops.

I opted for the cough drop…and thus began the topsy-turvy encounter with my taste buds. I expected a menthol taste that would open my nasal passages. What I received was something closer to an encounter with the laundry aisle at Walmart. That little piece of Fellowship tasted like Febreze, original scent.

Yes, I’ve tasted Febreze. It was after I sprayed one squirt too much into the air. The mist landed on my lips. The original scent is my favorite…to smell, not to taste. I ate the cough drop I had chosen as though it was my last meal. Who was I to be picky? I selected my tastebud fate.

Blessed are the candy givers, for they shall inherit… my immediate suspicion about what exactly I just put in my mouth.

The moral of the story – we always have choices. Sometimes we make the right choice, but when we don’t, we can find humor in the situation.

What is one situation you found humorous this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment