Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 12, 2023

Motivational Monday – National Brain Health Month

 


Are you keeping your brain healthy? The month of June is recognized as National Brain Month. Focus on things that bring awareness to your self-care and wellness. A few ways to accomplish this include – exercise, socialization, and being mentally active.

One method I use for mental health is to practice yoga and meditation. I am not at the top of the class when it comes to meditation, my mind won’t cooperate. The soft voice guiding the meditation says, “relax your mind.”

My mind immediately snaps back at the calm voice – I need to make a grocery list, put a load of clothes in the wash…what time does the bank close today?

The voice continues, softly rolling instructions from her tongue like a ball of yarn unraveling. My legs are crossed, my back is straight, and my eyes are closed. My mind…still not relaxed.

The friendly voice says, “inhale.” What I hear is in hell. My mind lashes out at the voice, who’s in hell. I’m not going to hell. I’m trying to live right, get my body right. I don’t want to be in hell.

After a couple more deep breaths, I refocused. I realized I’d had a flash back to my childhood days where we studied words that sound alike but have different meanings. I believe those are called homophones.

The same as we practiced our lessons in childhood, there are still things we can learn as aging adults. Perhaps there is an activity you have considered trying but kept putting it off. Challenge yourself to try something new this month.

Invest in yourself this month, exercise, eat healthy, socialize, and focus on your mental health. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment