Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 18, 2022

Monday Musings – 3 Things I Learned About Betrayal and Aging During a Pandemic

 

What happened to my metabolism?

I have been betrayed. There has been a violation of trust. The acts of deception went unnoticed as I eased into my 50’s – 51, 52, 53…nothing. Then, during the pandemic everything slowed down…including my metabolism. The ultimate betrayal.

During the slower pace of the pandemic, I had more time to spend with my thoughts, my home, and my aging body. Here are 3 things I’ve learned about betrayal and aging:

1.      Your clothes will betray you – hopefully, it hasn’t happened to you, but my clothes have betrayed me. They refuse to button, snap, or zip. All because I packed on a few (plus a few more) pounds.

2.      Your eyesight will betray you – I’m blaming the pandemic for this one. I visited a new optometrist because I liked the style of glasses they offered. After checking my eyes, the Dr. said, “well your prescription has changed a little.”

Translation – my glasses were going to be thicker. It was probably all the screen time, Zoom meetings, and working from home during the pandemic that strained my eyes. I had a feeling my eyesight may have changed. When I entered the small exam room, the doctor turned her back and I got a peek at the eye chart on the wall. I tried to quickly memorize the letters on the last row. AECFG or was it AFOEC. Who was I kidding? My eyes were aging.

3.      Your metabolism will betray you – I’m not friends with my new metabolism, the one that moved in after I passed 50 years old. I give it fuel, but it acts like it’s trying to conserve energy and therefore, I pack on pounds. One of my favorite action movies is titled Hard to Kill (with Steven Segal). It’s the same title I use describe my appetite. I know my appetite alone is not the culprit for the roadblocks with my weight loss. It goes back to that sneaky metabolism. I know this because I exercise regularly, I don’t overeat (often).

If you feel like you’re being betrayed by your aging body, have no fear, there is hope. Don’t give up, fight back. Here are 3 ways to help you feel better about the aging process:

1.      Don’t be so hard on yourself – aim for being healthy, but don’t beat yourself up when setbacks happen.

2.      Love yourself – make a list of things you like or love about yourself. Keep the list easily accessible. When there’s a day you’re not feeling your best…refer to your love list.

3.      Keep a sense of humor – give yourself permission to laugh. Sometimes you have to lighten up and laugh at yourself.

Get past the betrayal, forgive your metabolism, and glow through each stage of the aging process.

What tips do you have for aging gracefully?

No comments:

Post a Comment