Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 25, 2022

Motivational Monday – The Weight Loss Journey – 3 Ideas for Surviving a Challenge

 

I’m working once again to lose my post-pregnancy weight…it’s been 25 years...since the baby. There have been peaks and valleys, fitness regimens and meal plans; Just when I thought I had things under control, menopause slapped me in the face. I hit a plate, a brick wall, a stand-off.

In school we learned the theory of man against man, man against nature and man against himself. We can now include woman against her waistline. There are many days that I wish my superpower was appetite control, but since it isn’t, I go with Plan B – live joyously anyway.

I’m not going down without a good fight, and if you’re facing a challenge, you don’t have to either. How do you encourage yourself through a challenge?

Here are 3 fun ideas for surviving a challenge:

1.      Play the song I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor – sing along with the song (really loudly), say the words like you believe them.

YouTube Video: I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor

2.      Play the Rocky theme song – do this one at home. Put on a pair a loose-fitting jogging outfit, leggings, or anything comfortable. Bounce around your room like you’re preparing for a boxing match. Let the song lead you. Here are some of the lyrics to put you in the moment – Trying hard now. It’s so hard now. Getting strong now.

YouTube Video: Rocky theme song - Gonna Gly Now

You can count this as part of your fitness for the day.

3.      Do something fun – go easy on yourself. Allow yourself to relax, do something fun, the regroup later to refocus on your situation.

You can apply these ideas to a weight loss journey or a different difficult situation you’re facing. I’ve found that it helps to sprinkle any situation with humor.

My sons are encouraging when I complain about my weight struggles. They say things like, “Ma, you look fine, you’re probably gaining muscle.”

I started to buy into his theory. An invisible thought bubble formed above my head, and my eyes shifted upward – maybe I am gaining muscle. I looked at my right arm, then my left, and lifted each one into a bicep curl.

“I see your muscles Ma,” my son gave my arm a firm squeeze.”

A toothy grin erupted on my face, it was a proud moment for my arms, but then…

I looked down at my stomach, it looked back at me as if to say, I’m not with them, don’t set your expectations high.

And that my friend, is how I use humor to make it through.

If you’re on a weight loss journey or another challenge, silence your inner critic and keep pushing forward. Transformation doesn’t happen overnight, consistency pays off.

Go through your day with laughter as your sidekick.

No comments:

Post a Comment