Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Wacky Wednesday – National Popcorn Day - 3 Fun Facts

 


Buttered, salted, caramel, there are a variety of popcorn types to please your palate. National Popcorn Day is celebrated on January 19th. What is your favorite way to enjoy popcorn?

As a young child, I would watch my grandfather make popcorn in a skillet. He would first cook a few sausage patties, they he put between two slices of bread to create a sandwich for himself. The grease from the sausage still in the skillet, my grandfather added kernels of popcorn.

A few minutes later my brother and I had a bowl of seasoned popcorn. It had a hint of spice from the sausage grease. Our friends from down the street would sit on the front porch with us and indulge in the tasty treat.

There was even a time when a couple of friends got together and said, “let’s create our own store.” We put our coins together and bought candy from the corner store, and we sold popcorn that my grandfather made. We put the popcorn in brown paper lunch bags and sold it for .25 cents.

When my sons were younger we frequently had family movie nights. Our snack of choice was buttery microwave popcorn, and the occasional kettle corn for me. Today, you can find me with a jumbo bag of Skinny Pop popcorn.

Just for fun I looked up fun facts about popcorn. Here are a few that I found interesting:

1.      Popcorn has more iron than eggs and spinach. It also has more fiber than potato chips.

2.      Americans eat about 17 billion quarts of popcorn each year.

3.      Most of the popcorn eaten around the world is grown in the united States.   

    Fun facts were adapted from holidayscalendaar.com.

For National Popcorn Day, take a trip down memory lane. Think about a fond memory you had that was related to popcorn. Grab a bag of your favorite popcorn already made or grab a bag of kernels and pop your own. Relax and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment