Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, October 11, 2021

Motivational Monday – Positive Attitude Month – 5 Tips for a Positive Attitude

 

Come alnong, see what 'm sharing on today's blog post

You get what you expect. Expect greatness. Expect your dreams to come true. Expect a breakthrough. The month of October is observed as Positive Attitude Month, find something positive about every day, and it will develop into a habit.

Author Frank Sonnenberg says, “If you believe today’s going to be awesome, you’re going to be happier and more productive than if you fear problems lurking around every corner.” This does not mean that you have to be an over the top, happy-go-lucky person if that is not your personality. What is does mean is to view your potentially stressful situations differently.

I’m sure you can think of a ton of situations that could cause stress. How about parenting, growing old(er), and weight gain, to name a few. The way I view these things is with humor. Here are the opening lines to one of my comedy sets:

I’ve been engaging in extreme sports for 25 years…they’re called parenting and weight gain. Some people gained weight during COVID. I gained before, during, and after. I like to see things through to completion. COVID’s not over yet.

 

At the end of the day, I’m sill 10 pounds overweight (from where I was pre-COVID), and my sons periodically test my patience, but I use humor to get through the stress. You can too, armed with a positive attitude.

Here are 5 Tips that will help you to have a positive attitude:

1.      Start the day in a way that makes you feel relaxed – Whether you have five minutes or 15 minutes, use the time you have, to set the tone for your day. This can be accomplished through meditation, reading a devotional, or something else of your choosing.

2.      Express gratitude – rather than focus on things that drive you crazy or that you have no control over, find three things to be grateful for. It can be little things. I bet something just popped in your head, say it now out loud – I am grateful for…

3.      Hang out with positive people – this one is self-explanatory. If you don’t think you can find anyone positive to hang out with, at the very least run from negative energy. If someone is being negative and bringing you down, find a way to escape the conversation, flea the area.

4.      Exercise – the experts say that exercise is a natural feel-good drug because of the positive chemicals it releases into the bloodstream.

5.      Recharge  - doing the same routine day in and day out can become mundane, and your motivation and positivity begin to wane. Recharge by taking a vacation, staycation, or some fun activity that takes you away from your routine.

I challenge you for the next 30 days, to practice having a positive attitude. I know this will take you past the month of October, but do it anyway, and check in to let me and other readers know your results.

Remember, you get what you expect. Expect greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment