Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 2, 2021

Motivational Monday – National Play Outside Day



What is your favorite way to play outside? Get ready for National Play Outside Day, celebrated on August 7th. You don’t have to be a child to play outside, but you may need  to lose any inhibitions you have. Don’t worry about looking silly, or what someone else may think.

Do you remember playing outdoor games as a child? On my block the favorites were – Hula Hooping, Hopscotch, playing Jacks, and Four Square. I remember playing hopscotch in front of my house as a young child. We used a thick stick of white chalk to draw a giant “X” in each of three sections of sidewalk.

We wrote a number in each section of the “X”, then grabbed a small rock and tossed it onto a section of the hopscotch grid. As I walked through my neighborhood, that childhood memory resurfaced. A few blocks from my house, someone’s child had drawn a hopscotch grid, waiting for me to try it out.

I didn’t think about whether the neighbors would think I was Cuckoo for CoCo Puffs. I hopped in each one of the patterned spaces like I was 10 years old. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to play because you think its only for kids. I invite you to join me in celebrating National Play Outside Day.

You don’t have to go back to your 10-year-old self. Perhaps there is something that you used t enjoy doing but haven’t done it in a long time. Did you play softball, tennis, enjoy hiking? How about a game of kickball? Make adaptations as needed. No matter what you do, get outdoors. Here are 3 ways to celebrate National Play Outside Day:

1.      Create an outdoor scavenger hunt.

2.      Go to a lake or beach.

3.      Take a bike ride.

4.      Join a game of sand volleyball – no sand or beach nearby? Play over your backyard fence.

5.      Play your favorite childhood game with your kids or younger relatives.

Share an idea for an outdoor play activity that you would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment