Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, August 6, 2021

Fun Friday – The lighter side of parenting – A first birthday party

 


While doing a little spring cleaning, which turned into summer cleaning, I stumbled upon old photos of one of my sons. All the memories of his first birthday party came tumbling back, I wanted to cry…because I was stressed that day. We both were.

The invites were sent out, the cake was ordered, all we needed to do was how up at the location and have fun. Ha! Before we could arrive at the fun part, I had to wrap my son in a bear hug to comb his hair. Tears streamed down his face like a rain shower as I pulled on his tangled mound.

It took several wrestle holds to get my son dressed. “Put your leg in,” I said as I guided his little leg into his corduroy pants. He was not providing an assistance at all. Was I expecting too much?

We were getting closer to the hour of fun. We lived a couple of hours from family, so the party was planned closer to them. I packed my over night bag and crammed, bottles, formula, and diapers into my sons’ bag. A December birthday meant pulling on bulky coats and stuffing our feet into boots.

Finally, I strapped my son in his car seat, and pulled his coat back off, so he wouldn’t get too hot during the ride. It was like a parenting Olympics – Next up is Angela, in lane one of the marathon called getting through the toddler years.

Sunshine warmed the car, hints of snow cover the trees along the highway. My son dropped his head and drifted off to sleep, and I listened to a book on tape. We were in our happy place and 60 miles closer to our fun spot.

Upon arrival at our destination, part two of the parenting Olympics began – unloading everything from the car. However, this time we had help. Joining Team Verges was my mom, my best friend and whomever else was standing around. We got settled in and ready to greet guests.

More toddlers arrived in their parents’ arms. Bigger kids came, carrying the diaper bags that belonged to their sibling toddler. We had party hats, streamers, noise makers, and of course cake. It was soon time for everyone’s favorite part of the party – singing happy birthday. Everyone except my son, was happy.

The chorus of friends and family screamed, I mean, sang happy. My son began crying. I’m not sure whether he didn’t like our voices or we just startled the poop out of him. We rushed through our version of happy birthday, I helped him blow out the candle, then gave him one of the toy trucks from his birthday cake.

First birthday party was a success…I think. People had fun, it just wasn’t the guest of honor and his parents.

We survived the toddler years, the school-aged years, and we’re now growing into adulthood. As he grows, I grow. I wouldn’t trade anything for my journey.



Go through an old photo album and see what fond memories you stir up. Remember…Laughter Helps, in any situation.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment