Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 30, 2021

Motivational Monday - How do you vacation? 3 Simple tips for a fun vacation


I need a vacation, was the statement I made to my inner workaholic self; then I called a couple of girlfriends. We decided on a weekend getaway by train.

We scheduled a Zoom session to plan the details of our trip. One friend said, "I'm not taking my laptop." The other said, "Yeah, I'm leaving mine at home too."

I began to twitch, tingle, and twist, anxiously...no laptop? My laptop is like American Express - I don't leave home without it.

What if...I get a story idea, need to write a blog post, or need to research ideas? I needed my trusted companion...or did I? Nope. I decided to leave my pal, my old reliable writing companion at home.

After all, I had my phone as backup. This leads to the question of the day - How do you vacation? Decide what you want from your vacation. Do you want to go shopping, sight seeing, active events, or more relaxed?

Here are my 3 Simple tips for a fun vacation:

1.  Create a plan - only if it makes you feel better, but be willing to deviate from it. Remember, you are on vacation. Don't be rigid.

2.  Break away from routine - flexibility is key for a great vacation. Do something differently than you usually do. Is your favorite breakfast oatmeal and toast? Live on the edge - add garlic butter to your toast (for example purposes).

3.  Allow yourself to have fun - you don't have to fill every moment of your schedule. It's also okay if you choose to do nothing at all. Sitting on a beach with your toes in the sand, or sitting pool side sipping a smoothie can be relaxing.



On our girls trip, having fun, and relaxing were our highest priorities. Early Saturday morning before the sun reached its brightness, we took a power walk along the beach, through a memorial park, and past a dozen skyscrapers.



I stopped frequently to take pictures and soak in the wonder of the architecture of the buildings and the aesthetics of the flowers.  





After the walk we stopped at a nearby Starbucks and sipped flavored coffee as we chatted and watched as birds swooped down in anticipation of a dropped crumb. 

"What if everyday was Saturday? That's how I imagine retirement," one friend said.

"We could meet up once a week for coffee and conversation, " said the other friend.

We breathed a heavy sigh and said, "This is what vacation is all about."

On the ride home at the end of our vacation, I twitched, tingled, and twisted. This time it was due to the jerkyness of the train. 

Overall the trip included friendship, fellowship, food, and lots of laughs.


What would you add to the list of tips for a fun vacation?



2 comments: