Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, May 17, 2021

Motivational Monday - Mental Health Month – 5 Self-Care Tips

 

Photo Credit: Essential Life Skills

“It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” Mandy Hale

It’s Mental Health Month, what are you doing to invest in your self-care? The purpose of May as Mental Health Month is to bring awareness to trauma and “the impact it can have on physical, emotional and mental well-being of families and communities (youth.gov).”

Focus on your well-being by engaging in activities that bring you joy, peace, and relaxation. Here are 5 Tips for Self-care:

1.      Create a list of positive affirmations.

2.      Start a new hobby.

3.      Plant a garden.

4.      Plan an at home spa day.

5.      Catch up with a friend you have talked to in a while.

These ideas were adapted from a Mental Health Month Activities calendar.

You deserve to be happy. Focusing on your mental health doesn’t have to cost you anything, yet can give you riches – healthy lifestyle, a positive attitude, and joy.

When was the last time you took a mental health break? A mental health break can be anything that allows you to relax. It can be a 10-minute break, or a weekend getaway. Reminiscing on good times can also be a mental break.

My young adult sons were home over the weekend and took an unplanned trip down memory lane. It was my fault. I was trying to watch a virtual church service on a big screen (bigger than my laptop) in a common space – our living room.

As the pastor began the prayer, my sons began talking loudly to each other and laughing. I had to shout over them, “Hello, I’m in church AND it’s prayer time. Can I get a little silence?”

My youngest son was the first to respond, “I know you’re joking. When we were little, you used to draw tic-tac-toe grids and slide the paper back and forth to us during church.”

“I did that to keep you occupied so I could focus on the church service. If that worked maybe I need to do it now.”

They looked at each other and burst out laughing.

After I glared at my sons, they left the room and took their memories with them. I continued watching the church service but smiled as I too remembered the things I had to do to keep them quiet and keep my sanity.

It’s Mental Health Month, take a mental health break daily. What self-care tips would you add to the list above?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment