Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 5, 2021

Fun Friday – The Cinnamon Challenge

 

Photo Credit:  Food Hacks

I didn’t ask to play; I was thrown into the game. It happened by accident. My day was filled with meetings at work, one in person and two virtual. The light was dull in my workspace. My morning coffee cup held the brown stains of a warm beverage long gone. My body was beginning to crash.

My desk was filled with sticky notes. I moved them out of the way and pressed the button on my fancy desk, raising it until I was standing and staring directly at the screen. I was in a fight to stay awake, at 2pm in the afternoon, and I was losing the battle. No, I didn’t say awake late the night before. It must be that thing they call aging.

An idea hit me. I called my adult son, “Can you bring me a cup of coffee? You don’t have to go to the store, just make a cup at home and bring it to me.” I told him the way I like my coffee – a teaspoon of coffee, 2 sweetener packets, lots of cream. Oh, and a dash of cinnamon.

Somewhere along the way my son missed the part where I said a dash of cinnamon. He arrived at my job in less than 15 minutes with a large metal coffee mug in tow. The mug was cold to the touch, but when I slid the mouth of the lid open, the scent of cinnamon drifted to my nostrils. I thanked him and scurried off to my next meeting.

As I sipped in delight, my co-worker said, “Your coffee smells good.”

I was grateful to my son for going the extra mile to deliver the coffee, I said, “Yes, my son brought it to me.”

My meeting was productive, I was alert, my coffee was delicious, until…I got to the bottom of the cup. As I tilted the cup on my lips, I gagged, and coughed. It was similar to that cinnamon challenge going around where people were choking on dry cinnamon, for fun. I swirled the cup around in my hand to loosen the cinnamon then took a sip. Same results.

Finally, I gave up on drinking the coffee to the last sip and attempted to pour the remainder down the drain. Except it sat there in a clump. I filled the cup with water, several times to wash away the mound of cinnamon.

I called my son, “Um, how much cinnamon did you put in my coffee?”

“I opened the container and scooped out a teaspoon.”

Can you hear the scream in my voice?

I said, “I only needed a dash.”

“Oh, well it wasn’t a full teaspoon.”

And that was my cinnamon challenge.

The lesson I learned was that I must speak clearly, be specific, and double check that I am understood.

What is a funny challenge that you have faced recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment