Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 19, 2021

Fun Friday – A lunch break adventure

 


Do you believe in miracles? I’ve heard that when a person is faced with a life-threatening situation, they can gain superhuman strength. You may have seen it in a movie – a person is trapped underneath something heavy. Someone else comes along, struggles a moment, seeing no other options, he uses all his might and frees the trapped person. Visualize that as you read this story.

One snowy day at work, I decided not to leave the building at lunch time: Everyone else left. My homemade grilled turkey sandwich with lettuce, swiss cheese, and honey mustard, on toasted bread, awaited me. As I removed the diagonally cut sandwich from foil wrapping, a thought hit me, a side of chips would go nicely with this.

I scrounged around in my purse for money and pulled out the dollar I could find. Off I went to the vending machine for a bag of crunchy chips. I slid my bill into the slot that sucks it in, then pressed A-5. The metal spiral began to spin slowly to release the chips, just as the bag was about to drop, the spinning stopped.

My chips were suspended, on the top row, by the corner of the bag. I stood there a few seconds with my mouth open in awe. That was my last dollar, anyone I could borrow from was gone to lunch. At this point, not only was I hungry, I was hangry…hungry and angry. I did what any hungry, ready to eat woman would do, I used my resources.

I put one hand on each side of the vending machine, and I slammed my large hip against it – 1-2-3 times. My chips were freed. I was not letting that machine get the best of me. As I sat down to enjoy my lunch, an old commercial jingle popped into my head – what would you do for a Klondike Bar?

What adventure stories have you experienced that caused you to chuckle?

No comments:

Post a Comment