Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 21, 2020

Fun Friday – 3 Tips for practicing meditation

Photo Credit: npr.org

A gust of wind slapped against my face as I pulled the hood of my coat tighter. I dashed from my car, through the blanket of darkness into my favorite coffee house. The early risers were beginning to pull into the parking lot, some of them were the ladies from the fitness studio I frequent. The five of us had the day off from work and decide to convene for coffee before heading our separate ways.

We sat around the faux fireplace sipping coffee from ceramic mugs and chatting. We rambled on about healthy eating, our killer workout and our reasons for continuing to show up for killer workouts. Then one woman mentioned practicing meditation for relaxation, and how it helps her in many ways.

“You can download an app for listening to meditations, or go to YouTube,” she said.
The next morning before heading off to the fitness studio, I searched YouTube for a meditation. I clicked on what I thought was the perfect meditation. Only a bedside lamp illuminated the bedroom as I sat crossed leg on the floor. The soft voice began speaking…

“Relax your body, breathe naturally, close your eyes. If you fall asleep it’s okay.”

I popped my eyes open. “No, I don’t want to go to sleep. I just woke up.”

I attempted to refocus as the voice continued to speak in whispers. “Imagine your worries are like stones you’re carrying in a backpack. Take them out one at a time as you relax.”
Again, I lost focus. I had to write down the pearls of wisdom I was hearing. My first round of meditation was an epic fail. As I described my meditation session to a friend she said, “You’re supposed to search for a morning meditation if you’re doing it in the morning.”

“Oh, you didn’t tell me that,” I laughed.

After my initiation to meditation I discovered a few tips about the art of meditation. Here are 3 tips:
1.      sit comfortably
2.      close your eyes (avoid the urge to jump up and begin another task)
3.      breathe naturally

For more techniques and benefits of meditation click here.

When was the last time you practiced meditation?

No comments:

Post a Comment