Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, February 25, 2019

Muffins with Mom – 3 Things I learned from my sons over spring break

photo credit: Not the Average Mama

“A parent’s job is never done.” I now understand that statement that my grandmother used to say. I’ve tried really hard to prepare my sons for adulthood, but some days they have me questioning my parenting skills. Because parenting is a job you never retire from, you learn to ride the waves, roll with the tide, roll with the punches and have fun.

As your children grow from, toddlers, to teens, to young adults, they still say the danrdest things. My sons were home on spring break from college at the same time. (Note to self – have the colleges stager their time off dates, just for my sons). Our house was overflowing with…hmmm…laughter, sarcasm and plenty of chaos.

Below are the things I learned while my sons were visiting.

1.      I’m aging – even more rapidly when the guys are home. One of my sons decided he needed more pillow son his bed, so he came into my room as I was winding down for the night. I had cleansed my face, tied my hair up for the night, and slithered underneath thick blankets.
As my son reached across my body for a pillow, he paused and stared at my face and said, “Are your eyebrows grey.”

I don’t know how he ended up on the floor with that pillow. When he regained consciousness, I explained that he may also have strands of salt and pepper in his eyebrows, on his toes and anywhere else he has hair.

My son gave me his brightest smile and kissed me good night.

2.      Birthdays are different as you get older – I was pleasantly surprised when I returned home from an errand and my sons presented me with flowers and a card for my birthday. It was my 53rd birthday, so on the inside of the card, in one corner there was a folded five dollar bill taped. In another corner, there were three one dollar bills taped.

“Awww, cute. I get it,” I told them. “But 5 plus 3 equal 8. Is this new math? You short changed me if you’re trying to make $53.
Eyes rolled at me, but it was all in love.

I decided I wanted to go out to eat for my birthday. Off I went to a family restaurant where I could get one of my favorite salads and warm, soft bread. This wasn’t a restaurant that I went to often. I asked the waitress, “Do you do anything special for birthdays?”

“We can sing to you.”

I had already heard the staff singing to someone over in a corner behind our table. I declined her offer. “No, I don’t need a group of people screaming at me right now. I’d just like a quiet dinner.”
I used to like all of that clapping and shouting – “SOME-BODY’S GOT A BIRTHDAY TODAY.”
Birthdays are different now.

3.      I love the comfort of home – spending the day in flannel pajamas and a fleece house coat is my idea of a good time. Sometimes I even fall asleep with a book on my chest or my laptop open. My son said, “Why did I come home for break, you guys don’t want to do anything.”

My son used to love family night, playing board, games or card games. I said, “I told you I would play card, we just have to do it before I get sleepy. You have until 8pm.”

Maybe during the next break my son will connect with me during my awake hours.

As parents, we never stop learning. What have you learned from your child lately?







1 comment: