Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, November 26, 2018

Motivational Monday – Becoming You


I sat in bed reading the preface of Michelle Obama’s book Becoming. In the background, Pandora was playing Encourage Yourself by Donald Lawrence and the Tri-City Singers. Scenes from my younger years flashed through my head like vignettes of my life.

It was only weeks before graduation that the seniors gathered in our high school auditorium. We waited for our name to be called, then went to the stage to review our accounts with the senior coordinator.  I had butterflies, we were going to receive our cap and gown.

My name was called, Ms. Simms searched for my name on her typed list of seniors. She found my name and said, “Oh, you still owe a payment on your senior dues.”

In a soft voice I said, “I paid that a couple weeks ago.”

“Do you have the receipt?”

“No, I don’t know where it is.”

Ms. Simms told me I needed the show the receipt before I would receive my cap and gown. Deflated, I walked off the stage as tears began to form a well in my eyes. My best friend came over and asked what happened. After explaining my conversation with the senior coordinator, my friend spoke to the teacher on my behalf.

My friend was able to convince the teacher that I had paid all of my dues, she was with me when I paid. The teacher allowed me to take my cap and gown and asked me to search for the receipt at home. She knew that I was a quiet A/B student who didn’t cause trouble and I was trustworthy.

That quiet eighteen-year-old girl that I was back then, had not yet begun to blossom. She did not yet have the confidence to speak up for herself. I was still becoming. I applied to several colleges and selected the one my best friend was attending. It was a college that wasn’t far from home, not far from my safety net. I was still becoming.

Over thirty years later, with many accomplishments under my belt, I am still becoming. I have learned to enjoy the journey and celebrate the small things that come my way. I am a mother, a writer and a child of God. I am becoming, an author, a speaker, an entertainer.

In this land of the free, we can become whomever we want to be. Set your sights high, if you believe it, you will achieve it. Reflect on your life’s journey, celebrate the peaks and valleys that you’ve traveled. All paths lead to becoming you.

Tonight I will sit in bed, snuggled under warm blankets and begin chapter 1 of Becoming, by Michelle Obama. Hmm, isn’t that amazing, not even into the first chapter of Mrs. Obama’s book and I’m inspired.



Become the best you that you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment