Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Muffins with Mom – Days of Nostalgia



“Have you ever been to Bungalow Island?” My teen son asked.

“No, I’ve never heard of it.”

My son recanted the stories he’d heard at work that day. The older staff were talking about a place, an island, where all the teens hung out in the Detroit area.  I said, “Do you mean Belle Isle?” He tried really hard to make me understand what he was talking about.

“Nooo, it’s an island that you have to take a boat to. Teens liked to go there.”

“Hmmm….Oooo. You mean Boblo Island. Yes that was a lot of fun. The boat had three levels, there was dancing on one level, a snack bar and a gift shop.”

Boblo Island was located in Ontario, Canada. We left from a dock in Detroit and once at Boblo, there were all the traditional amusement park entertainment. Rollercoasters, the water log ride and lots of cotton candy. The boat ride was as much fun as the amusement park.

On the night ride home, the breeze was cool, but the lights around the deck provided a serene feeling. Sitting on a deck chair with a stuffed animal won from a game, not a care in the world; that was the effect of a ride on the Boblo boat.

Boblo was around from 1898 until 1993.

Boblo Boat
photo credit: Metro Times (all photos)








My son said, “Ma, how come you never told us about Boblo.”

“I guess, I hadn’t really thought about, until now.”

What events of nostalgia have you shared with your child?

No comments:

Post a Comment