Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, April 16, 2018

Muffins with Mom – When your child realizes your value



Cinderella had a Fairy Godmother, the Shoemaker had elves (The Shoemaker and the elves) and in modern day times, my son has discovered the Editing Fairy. What exactly is a fairy? Oxford dictionaries describes a fairy as, “a small imaginary being of human form that has magical powers.”

According to the above definition, my son truly believes I’m a fairy.  Let’s dissect the definition. 
Small – I am shorter then my son. Imaginary – I’m sure my son pretends I’m a figment of his imagination when I say something he doesn’t want to hear. Magical Powers – he believes in magic. Let me tell you how I know…

One dark night, as I lay in bed curled against my down filled pillow, I heard the buzz of my cell phone. It was a text message from my son who was away at college. “Ma, I need you to proof read a paper for me…by tomorrow.”

“Hmph. Not gonna happen tonight.”

My son thought I had magical powers or that I was going to work through the night like the elves in the story of the Shoemaker and the Elves. Bless his heart. I was able to help him the next day, but reminded him that I needed more notice for my proof reading services.

There were a couple more assignments my son asked me to proof read, in a timely manner. Then he slipped up and ran out of time on a recent paper; he didn’t complete it in time for me to proof read before he submitted it. When my son received his paper back from his instructor, he sent me a text message.

“I can’t turn in anymore papers without you looking them over first.”

“What happened? I asked.

“Looks like my instructor used all the ink in her pen to correct my paper.”

The text message ended with two crying emoji’s.

My son learned the value of his mother’s editing services and he learned to plan ahead. An editing fairy has her limits.

DISCLAIMER: In case my son’s instructor reads this post – I don’t write his papers, only proof read.

Has your child discovered your value?

No comments:

Post a Comment