Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, January 12, 2018

Fun Friday – Boost your marketing with creative grammar

photo credit: The Marketing Sage

Dusk blanketed the sky as I drove toward the local carry-out pizzeria. The bright light inside drew my attention. Customers sat along the windowsill waiting for their orders, while others stood in line to place an order. I inched through the door and squeezed in line behind the last person.

My teen son called and asked if I would bring a pizza home while I was out. I agreed, but only if I didn’t have to wait for a special order. Then I saw the storefront full of customers. From the other end of the phone, my reassured me that what he wanted wouldn’t take long. I relented.

“Tell me what you want,” I said.

“Get me the Extra Most Bestest.”

“The who?” I could not have heard that correctly.

“The Extra Most Bestest.”

“Are you sure they have something called that. Don’t have me going in there sound foolish.” I was not convinced of the name.

When my turn arrived, I leaned and whispered to the cashier, “Do you have something called the Extra Most Bes…something?” I almost bit my tongue trying to pronounce the darn thing.

He smiled at me and said, “Yes.”

The cashier retrieved the pizza from the warming spot and handed it to me.

“Most Bestest” that cannot be grammatically correct!! But who am I to judge. There is such a thing as poetic licensing. And this is something that can be done with marketing.

I’d be curious to know what the analytics are on this marketing. Who is the target audience – young adults, kids? I asked my son what makes this pizza rise above the rest. He said it has more (extra) toppings for only one dollar more.

So there you have it. You can play with grammar as you please when it comes to marketing. If it’s working for you, take it and run with it.

Have you experienced any lessons involving grammar?


No comments:

Post a Comment