Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, October 3, 2016

Muffins with Mom – The short story-a work of fiction by a teen


photo credit

“Ma, can I have a couple dollars to buy a pack of Twizzlers?” said my teenage son.

“Only if you share them with me.”

My son hesitated at the thought at having to share his precious candy (that I was paying for) with me. After a pregnant pause he launched into his version of the picture book, If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff.

My son’s book would be titled, If You Give Your Mom a Twizzler. If you’re not a candy connoisseur, Twizzlers is the name brand for the braided licorice. Strawberry is the favorite in our house.

If you give your mom a Twizzler,

She’ll ask you if you’ve fed the dog.

Once you feed the dog, she’ll give you some dog tips. She is not a dog expert.

After she’s done with all the great tips (wink), she’ll tell you to brush your teeth.
Even though you had nothing to eat.

Next she’ll tell you to wash your clothes…
Even the ones you hid in the closet.

Thought of washing clothes will remind her that she’s getting tired.

She’ll ask you to massage her head…
But never let you sit on her bed.

As she begins to drift off to sleep, she’ll remember the Twizzler you were supposed to give her.
Chances are she’ll still want that Twizzler or request her money back.
The End

After reciting his story to me, my son told me that he is required to take a short story writing class next semester. He is looking forward to the class about as much as he looks forward to doing chores…very little.

One thing my son is excited about is that he can always use his Mama as practice for his tall tales
Has your child ever made up any stories?

Just for fun, check out the short video reading of Laura Numeroff's picture book - If You Give a Moose a Muffin.
YouTube Video Credit:westchesterenglish

No comments:

Post a Comment