Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Words Wisdom – Embrace your geekness day

photo credit

What makes you unique? Sometimes it our quirky, geekness that brand us as different from another person. Embrace Your Geekness Day is celebrated on July 13th. Make an effort today to do one thing that you love to do that makes you unique.

I began a little early celebrating Geekness Day. One of the things I like to do is to visit author book signings. As a writer, it is inspiring to hear the stories of published authors and their journeys.
When I went to the book signing for author Kate DiCamillo, I had not done my research ahead of time to familiarize myself with what she had written. All I knew was one of my writer’s groups and other affiliations were commenting that Kate was coming.

Upon my arrival at one of the local libraries, I was greeted by two lines of people that extended outside of a classroom and wrapped around a corner. One line was for people purchasing Kate’s books, the other was a line of people waiting to have their books signed. I squeezed between the two lines to take photos.

It was at the book purchasing table that I experienced my aha moment. There on the table was one of Kate’s book that I was very familiar with, Because of Winn Dixie. It was at that moment I wanted to tell someone, “It’s Kate DiCamillo, the author of…” But everyone there already knew who Kate was.

Being the geek that I am, I sat around awhile, took photos and enjoyed being in the room with other book lovers, writers and young readers. 

Kate DiCamillo - author




Below are a couple of quotes related to being a geek.

“Nerd. One whose unbridled passion for something, or things, defines who they are as a person, without fear of other people’s judgment.”        Zachary Levi

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”    Dr. Seuss

How will you embrace your geekness today?


No comments:

Post a Comment