Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Muffins with Mom – When kids skip school

Photo credit

Would you allow your child to skip school if he asked you? My teen son had a half day of school on a recent Friday. It was also a big day because the boys’ basketball team which he is part of, was headed to the semifinals that afternoon.

“Can I stay home today?” he asked. “It doesn’t make sense to go in for two hours.”

He was really trying to plead his case. My response was, “It might be an easy day since the entire school is hyped about the game. You said they’ve already sold 400 of the 500 tickets they bought.”

“I would still rather stay home,” he said.

“Well, could you make breakfast for me while I send a couple of emails? Then wash the dishes and work on that scholarship application I gave you the other day.”

He put the bacon on the griddle for me and got the pancakes started. After we ate he got dressed and walked around the house a few more minutes. I looked out the window and saw my son had his car running.

“Are you going somewhere?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’m going to school, you’re giving me too many things to do.”

I was glad he decided on his own to go to school. I don’t think he’s missed a day since the start of school.


Has your child ever asked to stay home from school?

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I love that! Go Mom! My son asked to stay home last week, I wish I had been as quick with chores that would send him to school on his own. I just said, no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn. I'm learning to think quickly, my kids are always trying to outsmart me.

    ReplyDelete