Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Muffins with Mom – Scholarship woes




Green Velvet Cupcake with recipe
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Enjoy a Green Velvet cupcake as you settle down to read today’s episode of Muffins with Mom.
I didn’t know that parenting would require me to also be a salesperson and negotiator. As a senior in high school, my son has been applying for college scholarships. All of the scholarships have specific requirements for recommendation letters.

Recommendation letters (pictured here)...but not the final one needed

The most recent scholarship application requested that one of the recommendations come from a school staff. I have been waiting three weeks for my son to bring home that recommendation. I told him to ask a couple of different teachers, still o luck. I’m not sure if he is following up with the teachers after he asks for a letter.
Tired of hearing myself talk, I came up with a different strategy to remind my son about the recommendation letter(s). I sent him a text message during his lunch hour at school.

“Bring home a recommendation letter and earn a monetary gift.” That was my sales pitch. I didn’t receive an immediate response, but eventually I received message that said, “I’ll try.”
The letter didn’t make it home. I didn’t dish out any money. I think I’ll have to follow up with the teacher myself.

Have you ever struggled with giving your child a task…repeatedly, yet he still doesn’t get it done? Sometimes you just have to choose your battles and not sweat the small stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment