Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Musings – 5 Fun ways to enjoy nature



It’s a great time of year to get outdoors and enjoy nature with the kids. I’m always on the lookout for something for the boys to do. I stumbled upon a park with nice trails and aesthetic surroundings. Actually I visited a park for a writer’s meet up.
The visitor center where we met was cozy with its’ wooden floors and rustic appeal. As nature would have it, I was greeted with a warm welcome. I was sitting alone in one of the open rooms waiting for the meeting to begin when saw my greeter from the corner of my eye.

A chipmunk had enter the room from outside. I think he entered through the wall. Being the city girl that I am, I nearly jumped from my seat. My first thought was that it was that it was a mouse. As I glanced out a window to see where the chipmunk came from, I saw another one just like him positioned near the window.
I didn’t wait for Alvin, Simon and Theodore to all converge on me. I jumped from my seat and went to join the couple of other people who were gathered in the meeting room. Having said all of that, I want my boys to be comfortable with nature, not jumpy like I am.

If you have been wanting to introduce your child to nature, Parents Magazine has several tips to get you started.

1.      Bird Watching – you can take your child bird watching at a park or in your own neighborhood. Take a pair of binoculars on your next walk. Have your child survey bushes, trees, and grass for our feathered friends. Be sure to observe a birds color, size and behavior. Complete your outing with a craft – make a bird feeder, set up a bird bath or create a nest box.

2.      Nature Scavenger Hunt – create a list of items for your child to search for. You could include pine cones, acorns and bird feathers to name a few.

3.      Catch a Critter – along with your scavenger hunt, you could go on a bug hunt. Catch a bug, place it in a plastic jar along with a twig and a few leaves.

4.      Plant a garden – let your child plant flowers, vegetables or herbs.

5.      Celebrate the sunrise and sunset – listen to bird calls in the early morning and enjoy the multi-color of the sky at sunset and listen to nocturnal creatures.
For the complete list of fun ways to enjoy nature click here. What would you add to the list?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment