Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Fun Friday - 5 ways to beat the summer heat



The beginning of a water balloon battle.

“It’s hot outside, can we go to the water park?” This is the tune I hear on so many hot days. We live within ten minutes of a water park and my boys would go everyday if they could. Not happening. So I have to come up with creative ways to entertain them on hot days without going to the water park.
On the last 90 degree day we had, the humidity was so high that when I stepped out of my air conditioned car, my eyeglasses fogged up. I wanted to go to the water park. Instead we did the next best thing…a water balloon battle.

The entire backyard was our battle ground. The boys and I lightly tossed balloons to each other at first, then we really wanted to get wet so we tossed them harder. Sometimes the aim was off and other times it was right on target.

I carried balloons cupped in the bottom of my t-shirt. Joshua held balloons in the pockets of his shorts. Once we were drenched, the game was over.
What do you do to beat the summer heat? I found a few ideas online that sound like fun solutions to a hot summer day. Check out the list below.

1.      Cold potato – put a new spin on the game of hot potato. Use a small water balloon. Put a small pin hole in the balloon before filling it with water. Pass the water filled balloon around a circle just like hot potato. This time the goal is to pass the balloon before it runs out of water.

2.      Play a game of splat – fill water balloons and take turns throwing them high into the air over a driveway or sidewalk. Be sure the balloons pop on impact. The person who makes the biggest water spots is the winner.

3.      Make smoothies – grab your favorite fruits and toss them in a blender with ice and fruit juice. Yum!

4.      Duck, Duck, Drench – this game is played like duck, duck goose except the players get wet. The person who is “it” walks around the circle and says, duck, duck…drench. When he says “drench” he squeezes water on the person with a sponge. Be sure to establish rules and parameters before you begin the game.

5.      Have an indoor picnic – spread out a blanket in your living room (or other air-conditioned location). Be sure to serve your favorite healthy snacks and cool drinks. How about ice cold lemonade with umbrellas in the glass?

For more ideas check out the grandparents link here.
What are your tips for beating the summer heat?

Getting wet is half the fun of playing with water balloons.

2 comments:

  1. These are fun ideas! I love the one about making smoothies. Yum!

    When the weather gets too hot, my kids like to go out and play in their little pool or run through the sprinkler. They have a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes...I remember running through the sprinkler. Sounds like big fun for the kids.

    Enjoy your Friday!

    ReplyDelete