Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 24, 2023

Muffins with Mom – Sharpen Your Math Skills – 3 Ways to Survive Parenting a Young Adult

  


My math skills are rusty. I know addition, subtraction, and multiplication, but there’s a situation that has me boggled. Perhaps you can help me. If there are two people at my house, why are there nine pair of shoes scattered near the front door, and none are mine?

There was one pizza box and two drinking glasses on the kitchen table. This led me to the conclusion that at some point two sons visited me in the middle of the night. When I awoke there was only one son present. I let him sleep a while longer so I could enjoy the quiet of the early morning.

The sound of my tea kettle and the smell of bacon, must have awakened my sleeping prince charming. I say this dripping with sarcasm. He came to life as he entered my quiet space, “Are you making breakfast?”

“Yes, and what time did you get home last night? Did you take Granny where she needed to go? How long did you stay? Who else went with you?”

“Ma, catch your breath. You missed your calling. You shouldn’t be in recreation; you should be in investigation or interrogation.”

“Investigation, interrogation, and perspiration, are some of the skills, knowledge and abilities required for the job of parenting.”

My son gave his typical rolling of the eyes, and heavy sighing; then moved on to prepare for breakfast.

How do you survive parenting young adults? You beat them at their own game. Here are 3 survival tactics:

1.      Promise to spoil their children rotten, then send them home.

2.      Give them the same blessing your parents gave you – may your children be just like you.

3.      Handle the craziness with humor.

You can sharpen your math skills when parenting a young adult. Here’s how:

1.      Subtract knee jerk, negative responses.

2.      Add positive comments.

3.      Multiply the amount of times you express your love and support.

 

What are your tips for parenting a young adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment