Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 4, 2022

Fun Friday – A Bundle of Joy – Tales of a College Graduate

 


My bundle of joy arrived January 29th at 9pm. The darling weighed over 10 pounds and left me exhausted. That was the night my college graduate dropped off a huge bag of laundry for me wash.

I don’t think my son realizes that at my age, 9pm is the middle of the night. Nor does he realize that his actions are a display of entitlement. What I think he believes is that he’s putting his Business Management skills to work.

When my son stopped by for a weekend visit he entered the house with a mesh laundry bag over his shoulder. It hung from his back like Santa with a sack of toys. I heard him before I saw him as he shouted, “Ma, I’m home and I’m bearing gifts.”

As I entered the room my son said, “You might want to start washing tonight, I have a lot of clothes.”

I looked at him like a deer in headlights then said, “I’ll pencil you in for tomorrow and leave an invoice.”

I agreed to wash the bundle…the next day. As I began to sort the clothes I discovered socks balled up, pants with one leg inside-out, and towels that were softer than mine. I might keep the towels.

After the laundry episode I added a new word to my son’s vocabulary – empowerment. I looked up the definition for him in my Webster’s Dictionary – yes I still have a print edition of that. Here’s the definition – “The granting of power, right or authority to perform various acts or duties.”

I grabbed an empty paper towel role and pretended we were in ancient times when kings/people were knighted. I had my son face me and lean forward, tapped him on each shoulder with the paper towel role. I said, “I now deem you empowered to do your own laundry.”

“Is all this necessary?”

“I’m quite sure it is. I want you to know without a doubt, that I have every confidence that you are capable of washing your own clothes.”

At this point, I felt the eye-roll coming before I saw it. This only fueled my actions of exaggeration and sarcasm. “Come with me.”

My son followed me to our laundry area where I pointed out, “This is the Tide Laundry Detergent. Here are the Gain dryer sheets. You have all the necessary tools to get the job done.”

After a few more rolls of the eyes my son said, “Okay, I get it. Empowerment. I need to do my own laundry.”

This fun exercise in empowerment is an example that worked well for my son. He appreciated the humor tailored just for him. My son knows that I don’t mind occasionally washing his clothes, but there are ground rules and expectations. If I’m washing his clothes, it’s to free him up to do something important working on his car, repairing something for me, etc.

And the moral of this story, if there is one…it’s okay to support your kids and have a little fun in the process.

Think of a fun situation that has brought you joy recently…may it spread sunshine throughout your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment