Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 20, 2020

Motivational Monday – The College Send Off - Anything but Ordinary

Preparing for back to school


It was early evening as I adjusted the earbuds into my ears, my Zoom workshop was starting in five minutes. As I listened intently to the workshop leader, my son began talking to me from across the room. “Ma, blah, blah, blah..” That’s what I heard, until he bellowed to me again.

“Ma, did you hear what I said?”

I pulled one earbud from my ear and tilted my head slightly to hear what he was saying.
“More of my classes just moved to online and other ones will be hybrid.”
College classes will be anything but ordinary.

As my son’s stack their storage bins, gather their blankets, and check their class schedules, reality sinks in. They are going back to school in the middle of a pandemic. One which is predicted to experience a second wave in the fall if everyone doesn’t practice safe measures.

In past years, the college send-off was a time of excitement for the year ahead – making new friends…a clean house, oh wait we’re not talking about me. My sons were excited about being on their own, hanging out with friends, and attending classes in person.

Neither of my sons want to take online classes, but they will have to abide by the policy of their individual schools. Times we’re living in are not what we are accustomed to. My heart goes out to parents and their children who are preparing for back-to-school with uncertainty.

Where does your strength come from in times of weakness, struggle, and challenges? Prayer changes things. Create a quiet place, pray, meditate, and turn your troubles over to the Lord. Build upon your faith and go from worrier to warrior.

The college send-off this year will include reminders to “wear your mask, keep hand sanitizer handy, and stay away from unnecessary crowds. Saying goodbye will be anything but ordinary.

Since there will be no ordinary this fall, let’s make it extraordinary. If your college student must attend in person classes, send hm off with love, hope and faith.



No comments:

Post a Comment