Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, January 20, 2020

Muffins with Mom - Death by Sweet Potatoes – A Family Holiday Story



The aroma of cinnamon and vanilla drifted from the kitchen and floated to the nostrils of hungry dinner guests.  Four, five, maybe six sweet potatoes were cut in chunks, sprinkled with brown sugar, and shared the pot with a half stick of butter. Mama Lula’s candied yams were the main reason family gathered at her house every holiday.

Mama Lula was our longest living family matriarch at 102 years old. When she expired, so did the recipe for the best candied yams this side of the Mississippi River. I gave my best attempt at re-creating the famous recipe. My yams were diced just right, sprinkled with flavor and served with love. BUT, my yams were presented differently.

In this era social media and people posting everything from family activities to the food they eat, I fell in sync. I posted a picture of my hot off the stove syrupy candied yams. I called my mom and told her to look at the photo of my yummy yams. Her inquisition began…

“Did you cook them with a lot of butter and sugar?”

“Of course, that’s the only way to make them.”

“Are you making them for those who may be interested in becoming a diabetic?”

Pregnant pause, with a wide grin, “Not specifically, no.”

I had no intentions on infringing upon the dietary needs of anyone wishing to abstain from sweet stuff. The goal was to prepare a soul food meal for the Holiday, one that would please the palate and leave guests satisfied. Palates were pleased, guests were satisfied and there were no casualties.

Sweet potatoes transformed into candied yams do not equal a death sentence. It does add humor to a family dinner as it is turned into a murder mystery game. Love and laughter filled the room as the aroma of cinnamon and vanilla dissipated. The pot once filled with chunks of sweet potatoes and melted butter only held remnants of the diabetic delight.

Have you ever cooked-up a mystery at a family gathering?

No comments:

Post a Comment