Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, May 6, 2019

Motivational Monday – How to teach your body a new language




Downward Dog, Child’s Play, and Triangle Pose. I learned to speak Yoga and encouraged my body to do the same. My body looked the part in grey flare-leg yoga pants and a loose fitting top. However, my legs trembled in Tree Pose and I had to pop one eye open with seated poses (Just to be sure I was performing them correctly).

Barefoot and lying on my back, the white towel underneath my torso and head served as the yoga mat I’d forgotten to bring. I was determined to try this form of exercise that I’ve heard has so many benefits. The lights were low, the instructor directed our movements in a low soft voice. I arched my back into a bridge position.

I’m not new to exercise, but when it comes to yoga, I am a novice, a newbie, a girl who doesn’t know what the heck she’s doing. This form of exercising is like learning a new language for me. The thought occurred to me, how do I teach this new language to my body? Simple, one bridge, tree pose and ankle rotation at a time. You take baby steps.

Do you remember when you first learned to ride a bike? You started out with training wheels. When you felt a little confidence, you took off one training wheel, you could still lean to the training wheel side if you felt your confidence slipping. This was only my second time participating in a yoga class.

On my next visit to a yoga class I will know a little more of the language and how to carry out the poses. My leg will tremble a little less in tree pose, my bridge will be a little higher and my ankle rotations may not crackle as much. I am teaching my body to twist, bend, and stretch through the language of yoga.

Yoga may not be the fitness language you’re teaching your body. Could it be Zumba, Burpees, Martial Arts or something else new that you’re trying?

What new language do you want to teach your body? If I can do it, so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment