Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Muffins with Mom – MVP Most Valuable…Parent


Basketballs bounce against hard wood floors, one handed dribbles, cross overs and slam dunks. How do these things relate to parenting? This is how I spent 11 years of my life, beginning with a micro basketball league when my son was six years old. It sounds like a lot when you see this in writing.

My son improved his skill at basketball, the more he practiced and played on organized teams. I improved my parenting skills with each success…and failure. After a 5 on 5 basketball tournament, my young adult son came home with a trophy. On the plate of the trophy were the words, “MVP-Most Valuable Player.”

Gripping the trophy by the figurine, my son stretched his arm in my direction and said, “This one’s for you Ma. You can keep this in your room.”

I placed the prize possession on my dresser and told my son, “I’ll call this my Most Valuable Parent trophy.” My heart felt warm as I thought about the hours spent in gymnasiums- shouting, cheering and sometimes napping between tournament games. A thought hit me as quick as a fly ball in baseball. My Mom on a Mission goal was coming fruition…getting my kids through puberty.

My babies are almost full grown…almost. Although they’re through puberty, my job has not ended, but it has changed. My son must believe his role has changed as well. While searching the store shelves for a multivitamin, I told my son to grab the Gummie vitamins for me. His response was, “Aren’t you a little old for gummie vitamins?”

I purchased the gummie vitamins and when I got home, placed them on the dresser right next to my MVP trophy. It was a symbolic reminder that I’m still the parent and I can make my own decisions.

To all of you who have sat in gymnasiums, football bleachers, at soccer fields or any other events with your child, this award is for you too. You are a MVP – Most Valuable Parent.

What has been your MVP experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment