Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Fun Friday – All in the family

photo credit: Odyssey

What does your family do that causes your face to spread into a grin? My family seems to find a way to do or say something funny when its least expected. In honor of Black Friday, I’ll first share a story of an excursion with my teen son.

It was a frigid Friday morning, the sun was not even thinking about making an appearance. My young teen said, “Ma, I want to see what it’s like to go Black Friday shopping.” Off we went. As we pulled up to the entrance of the local Target store, there were a gazillion people already lined against the store front.

My son proceeded to roll down his passenger side window to yell to the crowd. I pulled away before he could embarrass me. He said, “I was only going to tell them to save me a spot in line.”

Fast forward a few years and my son still has something to say. Away at college now, he sent me a text message filled with laughing emoji’s and the statement, “I just spent $100 on groceries and then I went out to eat. I’m doing the things you guys wouldn’t let me do.”

My son was referring to his dad saying, “You don’t need to go out and eat, we have a house full of groceries.” It was this voice of reason that he was now ignoring. My son didn’t stop there. I heard another buzz of my phone.

Text message number two said, “Speaking of things y’all wouldn’t let me do, I’m about to eat a whole box of candy canes.”

I said, “Do you want to keep your original teeth a while longer?”

“Naah. My upgrade is up, I want a new model.”

I told my son that I hope he applies his quick wit to any papers and essays that he writes for school.
My son is not the only family member with a story to share. My mother had a “special moment” at her recent doctor’s visit. I’ll preface this story by saying, who amongst us has not gone to certain measures to appear lighter when stepping onto the scale.

Mom dressed in layers before trudging off to her doctor’s appointment on a brisk fall day. After checking in with the receptionist, a nurse called mom’s name and said, “I just need to check your vitals and get your weight.”

No sooner had the words fallen from the nurses mouth did my mom say, “I’d like to use the restroom.”  Once in the restroom, mom hurriedly removed her scarf, a jacket, a vest, leggings and was still left wearing a layer of clothing. However, mom had successfully in removed one to two pounds of clothing.

What funny situation have you experienced with family?

No comments:

Post a Comment