Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, March 6, 2017

Muffins with Mom – Leftovers

photo credit

My teen son called me on the phone at the end of my work day. “Ma, what time are you coming home? I want tacos for dinner.”

“I should be there by 4:30pm, I’m finishing up a few things. Go ahead and start the tacos,” I said.
“No, I’ll wait for you.”

He waited, and waited and waited.

When I arrive home an hour later, my son was stretched across his bed asleep.
He mumbled a few muffled words to me, “what took you so long?”

“Umm, I had to wooork.”

“Now, I don’t have time to eat. I have practice tonight.”

I had already started making the tacos as soon as I entered the house. It was simple enough that my son could have prepared the meal himself, but he opted to wait for me. So, wait he did.

Our back and forth banter continued.

“The tacos are almost done, you can eat a couple before practice. Then eat more after practice,” I said.

“I don’t want to eat them after practice, they’ll be leftovers. You know I don’t like leftovers.”
“I won’t put the meat in the fridge. I’ll leave it at room temperature for you. You won’t be at practice that long.”

“It will be cold, I’ll have to warm everything up. It will be leftovers.”
In that debate discussion with my son, I walked away with a new definition of “leftovers”, from a teen’s perspective.


Do you have a finicky eater in your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment